Shockwave therapy is becoming more common and important in physiotherapy. The modality is effective for a lingering injury or pain resulting from illness. It is used in many musculo-skeletal conditions, especially those involving connective tissues such as ligaments and tendons. According to Medical Professionals, shockwave Therapy is also a viable option to consider for patients with chronic tendinitis that has not responded even to more conservative treatments.
How Shockwave Therapy Works
Shockwave therapy is a non-invasive treatment. It creates a series of low energy acoustic wave pulsations that are directly applied to an injury over the skin via gel as medium. Shockwaves have successful results in a number of scientific studies for the treatment of chronic conditions. Shock waves cause stimulations that activate small diameter fibres, which in turn regulates the transmission of pain stimuli. This increases the patient’s pain tolerance above their existing original pain. It also causes localized metabolic reaction which helps in promoting the natural healing process of the body.
When To Use Shockwave Therapy
Shockwave offers physiotherapists one strong tool for stubborn and chronic pain conditions. There are several tendon conditions that just do not respond to traditional forms of treatment(heating, icing & massage). Having the option of this treatment is an additional advantage for physiotherapists.
Shockwave treatment has shown effectiveness in treating following conditions:
- Feet – Heel Spurs, Plantar Fasciitis and Achilles Tendonitis
- Elbow – Tennis Elbow and Golfers Elbow
- Shoulder – Calcific Tendinosis of rotator cuff muscles
- Knee – Patellar Tendonitis
- Hip – Bursitis
- Lower leg – Shin Splints
- Upper leg – Iliotibial Band Friction syndrome
- Back pain – Lumbar and Cervical Spine regions and Chronic Muscular pain
Benefits of Shockwave Modality
- Patients don’t need painkillers/anaesthesia/any drug with this treatment – the purpose of the therapy is to trigger the body’s own natural healing response. People experienced that their pain has been reduced and mobility has been improved just after the first treatment.
- Most suited for people with chronic tendinitis (more than six weeks) and have not responded to any other treatment.
- Non-invasive solution for chronic pain in shoulder, back, heel, knee or elbow.
- Shockwave therapy is considered safe, non-invasive, low cost and without the risk/danger of the surgical procedure and postoperative pain.